- Shrill, noisy devices installed in Perth underpass
- The technology deters people who are homeless
- But it has been condemned by Australians
Aussies have erupted over a device that blasts loud, piercing noises to dissuade homeless people from camping under a bridge.
Perth Council had the technology set up at the Lord Street Bridge underpass near a train line in East Perth over the weekend.
The device emits a shrill, buzzing sound at a pitch that is designed to be uncomfortable for people’s ears.
It is understood the device was then turned off by Tuesday morning.
Jesse Noakes, who runs the independent media publication The Last Place on Earth, shared a recording of the irritating noise.
‘It’s really piercing. It’s almost painful, and that’s the whole idea,’ he said, fingers in his ears.
‘[Council] want it to be painful for people who are thinking of coming and rolling out a sleeping bag, or chucking a tent on the side of this bike path.
‘That is an audible anti-homeless device. Hostile architecture, built in.


‘What they’ve done is install some kind of device that is emitting a high-pitched buzzing noise, a shriek.’
Hostile architecture – also referred to as anti-homeless design – is the adaptation of public spaces to deter people from loitering or sleeping.
This can include spikes in doorways, dividers on benches or sloped seats to stop someone from lying down.
Social media users were quick to condemn the devices, highlighting it would be distressing for animals as well as people.
‘That is a disgusting thing for the council to do,’ one said.
Another said: ‘How about they spend money on actually helping the homeless.’
A third added: ‘In their effort to prevent homeless people from sleeping rough in certain places, they’ve made it hostile to all people.
‘What about native animals in the area? Are they damaged too? It’s cruel.’


According to Matthew Swain, who has been sleeping rough for two years, he has heard the noise in several areas of Perth.
‘It’s definitely really loud under the underpass,’ he told 7News.
‘I don’t go and stay there because I don’t like encroaching on other people’s spots, and that’s like a known spot for, you know, some crew.’
‘I couldn’t stay there with that noise and like where I went to stay last night and was setting up in one of the car parks, one of the Wilson’s car parks, I noticed the noise, not quite at that level, but yeah, had to leave pretty much straight away.’
Daily Mail contacted Perth Council for comment.
The Public Transport Authority (PTA), which manages the sound devices, has confirmed the sounds are no longer being emitted.
‘The City of Perth requested the installation of a noise device at the Lord Street underpass,’ a spokesperson told the Daily Mail.
‘The noise device has been turned off. We will be asking the City of Perth to determine a more suitable way forward.’

The council has previously said the device was part of a ‘broad safety approach’ after ‘ongoing reports of antisocial and criminal behaviour and community concerns about safety in the area’.
‘The City’s focus remains on improving safety and amenity for all users of the area,’ the spokesman told news.com.au.
‘This includes increased security patrols, the installation of CCTV and the deployment of mobile CCTV trailers to support safer access and use of the underpass.’
This is not the first time WA has seen a controversial use of loud sounds to deter homeless people.
In 2023, the City of Bunbury played The Wiggles’ Hot Potato on loop at the Graham Bricknell Music Shell outdoor stage in the town centre, south of Perth.
But that was switched off after the Wiggles intervened, saying the music was created to bring joy to children.
The band said it was disappointed to hear it was being used for another purpose.
Read more



